We already had one chicken coop that we bought. It was made from recycled plastic and cost an absolute fortune...but at the time we didn´t have the available time to build one. This plastic coop holds up to eight chickens...it says 12 but we think this is too squashed for them and so would never go above 8.
We then decided to breed them and obviously would need another coop, so we set about planning and drawing the design. All our friends that have chickens have coops with a run, a triangular shaped house, we thought that this was the easiest design to make.
Wood here in Spain is really expensive so when we worked out the cost of building one it wasn´t that much cheaper than buying a ready made one. A friend knew we wanted to build some animal shelters and was given a lot of pallets. He promptly brought them to us, 70 pallets, we were very impressed. This had cut our costs down to the screws and brackets for the door.
Kev decided that he would build the coop in 4 parts and then put them together. The two long sides and then the front (with a door) and the back.
Basically he took all the pallets apart and then measure the wood and sorted it into piles. We had to build to the length of wood we had, but if you buy your wood you can get it any length.
He laid the 4 struts on the floor and started to screw the pallet lengths onto them ensuring the pallet wood stopped halfway across the strut. This way when he had finished covering the struts everything was held together in one piece. As you can see from the first photo his pallet wood was long enough to join 3 struts and then he added the extra length with the fourth. The house in photo 1 is about 1.50m long.
Next he stood them up against each other to get the correct width that he wanted. Then he cut the pallet strips to size and fixed each strip with screws. He did the back first and then the front. The front entailed adding a door. When Kev had covered so far down the door (depending on the birds you are building for) he ran 2 strips of wood from the fixed pallet strips to the floor. The measured and fixed the strips either side of the doorway. Picture 1 was the turkey house so they needed a bigger door. We used an old kitchen cupboard door that was just the perfect size!
For picture 2 (the chicks house) Kev built the door using pallets and then placed the hinges on the bottom to make a drop down. See picture below.

Kev then fixed in 2 perches, as chickens like to roost off the ground. In the 3rd picture above you can see one of the young chicks happily perching!
The final job was to waterproof the gap at the top of the coop. We used some old plastic sheeting that the previous owner left behind. Kev fixed it on with wooden strips just to hold it on.
As you can see from the picture, it has small gaps where the pallet wood was different shapes...bowed or just not cut straight. This is ok as the hens need ventilation, as long as the gaps are not too big because then they will let the wind and rain in. Our chicks have been happily living in this coop and even put themselves to bed at night

This is one of the chicks we raised...he is a cockerel fully grown. We have 5 living in our hen house and they have loads of room.